Monday, February 1, 2010

CD Spotlight - Melanie Fiona - The Bridge


Title: The Bridge
Author: Melanie Fiona
Media type: Sound Recording
Genre: R&B/ Soul

Born to Guyanese immigrant parents and growing up in a music-filled house in the inner city of Toronto , Fiona knew from the very beginning that music is what moves her. My mother, who shares my love for music, played everything from The Ronettes to Whitney Houston around the house as I grew up. My father would let me sit on the stage while he rehearsed with his band as a guitarist.
Though Fiona had been writing her own songs for years, the introduction of songwriter Andrea Martin would prove seminal for The Bridge. When I met Andrea, it was an instant connection, she explains. We developed this very personal working relationship where we were both inspired by each other. Sharing each other's life experiences, they collaborated on some of the defining songs in the collection. (Retrieved 1/24/10, LetsSingIt.com)

The album is called The Bridge, enthuses Fiona. It crosses the barriers between ethnicities, genres, age groups, and genders. It can't be defined as just one thing. It's got a soul that's something old, yet something new. (Melanie Fiona)

I first heard Melanie Fiona about six months ago. I was driving home and the song entitled Give to Me Right came on and I listened to the words and I could do nothing but smile. I thought to myself, this is a pretty bold song, but very true. There is a soulful sound that will make you think this artist is much older than her actual age. Her soul clearly comes out in this CD. This debut CD is proving to be more than her fans hoped for. If she continues to display her emotions in her song as in this debut CD, she is sure to be around for quite some time. Take a listen to Give it to Me Right and tell me what you think.

ok, ok,
He's got my number and
You can't, you can't
Warn me baby here
I am Either you make the time
Or just forget me

I'm not, I'm not
Tryna run your life
That's why, that's why
I'm nobody's wife
But when I want, when I want it
you gotta be ready
I don't want it all the time,
But when I get it,
I better be satisfied
So give it to me right,
Or don't give it to me at all

No comments: