Monday, January 11, 2010

CD Review - India Arie - Testimony. Volume 2, Love and Politics


Title: Testimony. Vol. 2, Love and Politics
Author: India Arie
Media type: Sound Recording
Genre: R&B/ Soul

Indie Arie was born in Denver, Colorado. She absorbed musical skills early in life as she was encouraged by both parents. Her mother Joyce is a former singer and is now her stylist. Her father is former ABA and NBA basketball player Ralph Simpson She has an older brother named J'On. After her parents divorced, Arie's mother moved the family to Atlanta, Georgia when she was thirteen. Arie had taken up a succession of musical instruments throughout her schooling in Denver, but her interest in the guitar while attending the Savannah College of Art and Design, in Savannah, led to a personal revelation about songwriting and performing. When I started tapping into my own sensitivity, I started to understand people better. It was a direct result of writing songs.(Retrieved Wikipedia 1/10/10)

India Arie is known and cherished by fans and fellow musicians as a poet, a songwriter, a daughter, a producer, a musician, a sister, a singer, an advocate, a friend and a philanthropist –– but she is possibly best known for the love in her music that has inspired and motivated people worldwide. (Retrieved, 1/10/10, http://www.indiaarie.com/bio.aspx)

I love Chocolate High from her latest CD. In this song, India sings a duet with Musig Soulchild where each is speaking of their addiction to each other. I just love the words and the soft beats. A simple, yet profound song.

Chocolate High
[India Arie]
I don't mean to be decadent
I might sound like a hedonist
But the simplest way I can put it
You become a habit
The more I consume, the more I gotta have it
Ain't no such thing as too much
If you gave me everything it'd never be enough yeah
My black coffee with sugar no cream in the morning
You're my super double caffeine dream yeah

[Musiq Soulchild]
Your precious darkness got me so
Strung out and lovin' the way that you
Got me so wide open, my baby doll
Jonesin' and fienin' under my skin
My nerves are screamin' when you're not here
See baby I need ya sugar
You're so delicious

We love her music, because it speaks to all of us. Her music gives hope and has lots of meaning in a time when many artists are just trying to make a “buck.” How does she continue to stay positive in her music amidst the craziness in the music industry? I do not know, but I am glad she does and I hope she continues to present the positive side and continue to uplift many people.

No comments: