Monday, December 14, 2009

CD Spotlight - Mario - D.N.A.


Title: D.N.A.
Author: Mario
Media type: Sound Recording
Genre: R&B/ Soul

Born and raised in Baltimore, MD, R&B vocalist Mario started to develop his natural talent while singing along with his mom using a karaoke machine at home. Discovered at the age of 11 in a local talent show, he later traveled to New York City to establish a career and scored a contract with Clive Davis' J label. At the age of 15, Mario debuted with the release of Just a Friend 2002, produced by Warryn Campbell and based on rapper Biz Markie's hit Just a Friend. His self-titled album followed in July, featuring contributions by Grammy-winning Alicia Keys. Turning Point, released in 2004, went to number two on the R&B album chart, hoisted by the ubiquitous smash Let Me Love You, a single that also helped launch the career of Ne-Yo, the song's writer. (Retrieved December 13, 2009, Lyricsyoulove.com)

Although Mario is only 22, he has been around for about 7 years, which places him in that longevity category. His music has evolved since he first became well known at the ripe age of 15. His music has become timeless and in my mind, he will forever be attributed to one of my favorite songs, entitled, “You Should Let Me Love You.” I had listened to his music before, but after this song, I began to look at him in a whole new light. He mixes R&B with Hip Hop, but I still prefer the slower songs that are more R&B than Hip Hop. He has truly become one of my favorite artists to listen too. His voice has so much depth, that you can actually feel the emotion when he sings. Well, needless to say, I was thrilled when I found out he has a new CD out.

The song that I will spotlight today is entitled Thinking of You. I really enjoyed listening to this song, but I was confused after I saw the video. In the video, his girlfriend is leaving, but it does not say whether they are breaking up. So is he still thinking of her when he meets someone new, or has she been replaced by thoughts of the other girl? Not sure, but take a look and tell me what you think.

Thinking of You
When the after party is over
And everyone around us is leaving
That's when I want you to come closer
Shawty your the only one that I'm needing
So when the after party is over
And for no particular reason
I want you to pull me in closer
And tell me that tonight you ain't leaving

No comments: