Monday, November 30, 2009

CD Spotlight - Fantasia - Fantasia


Title: Fantasia
Author: Fantasia
Media type: Sound Recording
Genre: R&B/ Soul

Fantasia Monique Barrino (born June 30, 1984), commonly known as Fantasia, is an American R&B Soul singer, Broadway and television actress who rose to fame as the winner of the third season of the television series American Idol in 2004. She has been nominated for eightGrammy Awards. After playing the part of Celie in the Broadway musical The Color Purple, she is cast to be in the film adaptation of the musical.

In 2004, she released her debut single, I Believe, which debuted at the top spot of theBillboard Hot 100, making Barrino the first recording artist in history to debut at the number one spot with a debut single. Subsequently, she released her debut album, Free Yourself, which went on to be certified Platinum and garnered Barrino four Grammy nominations in 2006. In 2006, she released her sophomore album, Fantasia, which featured the number-one R&B hit When I See You. The album was certified Gold and received three Grammy nominations in 2008. She then played the part of Celie in the Broadway musical The Color Purple. Her third studio album is set to be released in early 2010. (Retrieved Wikipedia 11/16/2009)

I think Fantasia surprised many critics with her talents during the American Idol Show. This is when I first saw her and after I heard her sing, I was hoping she would win. She has a fantasic soulful voice that resonates within your soul. Her music will bring you to tears as you listen to the songs and the depth in which her voice can go. Although most of her music is serious, she has some songs that are fun to listen to. One particular song entitled, When I see You fits perfectly into this category. She is singing about having a crush on a guy and how she feels when she sees him. We have all had crushes and know the fear and trepidation we felt when we were in the prresence of the person we has a crush on. Hope you enjoy this song as I and others have.

When I See You
I put your picture on my mirror,
Start to blush when somebody says your name
In my stomach there's a pain
See you walk in my direction I go the other way
I start to stutter when I speak
Try to stand but my knees go weak
What happening to me in the dark can you tell me what it means
I lay my head on my pillow
Staring out the window
Wish on a star for a sign
It's the reason why

[Chorus:]
Your always on my mind
When you come around I get shy
When I see you, when I see you
Never know when you might walk by
So I gotta be right on time
When I see you when I see you

Have you ever listented to her music? If so, tell us what you think.

No comments: