Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Movie Review - Valkyrie


My mom (the history buff) called me right after they saw this movie in the theater and said you HAVE to see this movie! I remember saying “Sure, sure Mom, I will get right on that,” which, of course, I didn’t. I don’t really do war movies. Wow…am I sorry I didn’t see Valkyrie on the big screen!

Title: Valkyrie
Director : Bryan Singer
Starring: Tom Cruise
Video Release Date: May 19th, 2009

Valkyrie tells the true story of Operation Valkyrie or Operation Walk├╝re which took place on July 20, 1944. This plan was the culmination of attempts by the German resistance to remove Adolf Hitler from office and to negotiate peace with the Allies. Unfortunately, as history books tell us (just so you know I am not spoiling anything) the plot fails. It resulted in the arrest of over 7000 people by the Gestapo and 4980 executions.

I will say that I have become a little disenchanted with Tom Cruise in recent years, but in this movie he absolutely shines. I could absolutely believe that he was a German officer who was driven to save the honor and people of his country from the madness of the Nazi regime. The acting was amazing by the entire cast, which was full of brilliant names including Eddie Izzard, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, and Terrance Stamp to name a few.

The action and tension were planned perfectly to escalate until, despite the fact everyone knows how it ends, you are on the edge of your seat, hoping that they are able to succeed and assassinate Hitler. It was beautifully filmed and written. I would highly recommend this film, even if you are like me and tend to shy away from war movies.

We have several good books and documentaries on this sujbect and there is now a German Resistance Memorial to the people were executed for their part in the plot if you are interested in learning more!

No comments: