Monday, May 18, 2009

Movie Review - Bride Wars


I love chick flicks, especially ones starring Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway. I find both of these actors can hold their own in starring roles and usually enjoy watching them quite a bit. However, this movie was a disappointment to me.

Title: Bride Wars
Director: Gary Winick
Starring: Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson
Video Release date: 4/28/09

This is a story of two women who met as young girls and grew up best friends. They constantly dreamed of their weddings together and planned each other’s perfect day. Each of them obsessed about being married at The Plaza in New York City. They are both proposed to by their boyfriends and all of a sudden, the race is on.

They go simultaneously to the same, very famous wedding planner, who has two separate dates available at the Plaza…Huzzah! But, as fate would have it, there is a booking mistake and they end up with their weddings on the same date, which just doesn’t work. Their friends would be divided and they couldn’t be each other’s maid of Honor.

From there, a friendship of twenty years disintegrates very quickly as they each play very mean tricks on each other. I found this to be a little unbelievable. The tricks they play are nasty beyond what you would do to your enemy, much less a childhood friend. I also found it unbelievable that their mutual friends didn’t try to help them more.

Some of the scenes are very funny and the predictable lesson is still a valuable one. As I said, I love both of these actors, I just wish the writing had been better. I would highly recommend Anne Hathaway in Becoming Jane and Kate Hudson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, if you would like a taste of why I like them so much.

No comments: