Saturday, May 16, 2009

Favorite Reads – Staff Picks

Every month, my boss sends out my favorite email…"What are your favorite books that have to do with…". She then uses responses from staff members from all over the library district to put together a bookletter called Staff Picks. I love this bookletter because everyone’s tastes are so diverse that the book choices range from classics to the most eclectic.

The current list’s theme is favorite Read-Aloud books because The Association of Booksellers for Children announced the E.B. White Read Aloud Awards shortlist, the winners of which will be announced in June. My favorite book on that list is a pop-up book by Robert Sabuda (whose books I collect) called Cookie Count. Other books included the favorite standbys of Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein but also some unusual choices like Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton.

Some of the past lists include favorite pet books, what I wanted to be when I grew up and cooking memories. I will let the cat out of the back and give you a sneak preview of the next list, which are favorite short stories or anthologies. My suggestion is from Orson Scott Card called Maps in a Mirror and it will be interesting to see what my other colleagues will suggest. Be sure to sign up with your email address on the mailing list to see what interesting books appear on the list!

No comments: