Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Living Library Review

This past Saturday, I was lucky enough to be part of our first annual Living Library event as part of our Reading Las Vegas month. This event was designed to open minds by connecting “readers” to living “books.”

There were 19 “books” available for check out. It was a fascinating mixture of experiences. The volunteers included a disabled Veteran, a single mom, a Native American, a lesbian couple, 2 gay men, a physically challenged person, Muslims, a formally obese person, a high-powered female executive, a single mom and yours truly was the fat person book.

There were a number of participants who came to check us out. I had some good questions asked of me including, “have you always been heavy?” and “why are fat people always the side-kicks in books instead of the protagonist?” Besides my questions, there were some amazing conversations taking place about prejudice and stereotypes. We talked about women’s place in the Muslim religion, Native American reservations and perceptions of Latin Americans, to name a few topics.

If you were unable to make the event this year, I highly recommend it for next year. It was a fascinating exercise in opening my mind to what other people face in their day to day existence. It also made me more aware about how people perceive my own status as a heavy person.

If you are interested in learning more about this project visit the Living Library website.

No comments: