Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Library Events - Under the Influence


The Clark County Library is pleased to present the annual poetry event Under the Influence. As part of National Poetry Month, each year this event brings together selected local poets reading original works and those of the poets who've influenced their writing. This popular poetry event takes place in the Jewel Box Theater on April 23 at 7:00pm.

Poetry for me was always something unatainble and I am sure that many of you feel that way as well. These poetry events in which the author is reading aloud the poetry will really help you understand the emotions behind the poetry. I really started appreciating poetry after some classes I took at UNLV. My favorite poem is by William Ernest Henley and was published in 1875. It is called Invictus which mean Unconquered in Latin:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

I would love to see comments from you with your favorite poem!

No comments: